Jamaican Sarsaparilla Root (Smilax regelii) is a powerhouse of minerals and nutrients! It is said to have the highest concentration of iron in any plant and is widely used to address anemia, low energy, low libido, and other disorders that may arise from "weak blood". It is commonly known as "sarsi" in Jamaica, and its use dates back centuries in our history as a tonic for overall vitality and energy, especially sexual energy.
Iron is the blood’s food supply and the blood is the medium of transport for oxygen to the brain and the rest of the body. So it is essential! Iron is seen as a magnetic mineral that pulls other minerals to it. Therefore, an herb or plant that is rich in iron would have adequate amounts of other minerals in balanced proportions. This is why sarsaparilla is so potent!
- Sarsaparilla is also known for treating psoriasis and other various types of skin diseases.
- This root may also be great for people that suffer from rheumatoid arthritis as well as kidney disease; it increases urination to reduce chances of fluid retention and also increases the level of sweating.
- Sarsaparilla is also great when you feel a cold, cough, or fever coming on and want to help prevent symptoms from getting worse.
- In addition to that, the root can also be used along with conventional drugs to aid in treating leprosy and syphilis. Sarsaparilla may be used as a steroid for enhancing performance/bodybuilding.
- Sarsaparilla can also be used to flavor foods and beverages. Here in Jamaica, it is popularly used to make Roots drinks and root beer.
This product includes only the roots of the plant, no leaves or stems. It is coarsely ground and packaged in Kraft Paper Pouches.
HOW TO PREPARE SARSAPARILLA TEA/TONIC
- Bring fresh spring water to boil
- Add one teaspoon of sarsaparilla root per one cup of water
- Turn down heat to low, cover pot, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately as a tea, or refrigerate for later use as a tonic.